Oct 29, 2007

Peanut Sauce #2: Senegalese

Peanut Sauce to go with rice:
3 tbs oil
2 tbs tomato paste
1/2 -1tsp of your favorite piment (hot pepper)-
1/2 tsp salt
1 bullion cube-
1 cup water-or more depending on the density of the peanut butter you’re using
1/2 cup peanut butter
1/2 cup diced onion

Saute tomato paste, hot pepper, salt, onion and bullion cube in oil for a few minutes. Add peanut butter and water. All natural peanut butter is better than the processed type because it doesn’t have any sugar that clashes with the salt. Mix and bring to a boil. Simmer for 15 minutes. Makes enough sauce for 3 servings (1 1/2 cups dry rice). Serve with white sweet potatoes.

I got this from this site:
http://www.geocities.com/fon_is_fun/beninese_food_recipes.htm
I like to imagine that I was in the peace corps group with these girls, and when I make it, I always reminisce with fake memories of people I might have met in Benin.

This one doesn't keep in the fridge for as long as Peanut Sauce #1 but has a richer flavor. It is better for dinner-type meals like beans and rice.

No comments:

Presidential Mission Statement

As President, I would provide the citizens of the USA with an approach and a model for everyday eating that will allow our country's national cuisine to evolve beyond junk food, take-out and pre-packaged food without going too far and becoming heartlessly, standoffishly gourmet.

Since I'm not currently president, I've compiled my favorite recipes on this site so I can access them remotely and keep track of them over the years.