Oct 28, 2007

Kelly's Friend's Aunt's Doctor’s Moroccan Stew


2 cans garbanzo beans
garlic
onion
ginger
pimento (4 oz)
1 25 oz can of chopped tomatoes
25 oz vegetable broth
sweet potatoes
cumin
curry powder
chili powder
salt-n-peppa
1/2 cup fresh cilantro
4 teaspoons of peanut butter
1/2 cup raisins
celery

Directions
1. Sautee the garlic, onions, pimentos, celery
2. Add the spices
3. Add the sweet potatoes and coat with the paste of the spices
4. Add the broth and garbanzo beans and tomatoes and bring the soup to a boil. Let simmer for 20 minutes.
5. When the sweet potatoes are tender, remove from heat and add peanut butter, raisins and cilantro.

My friend Kelly gave me this recipe. She got it from a friend who got it from an aunt. The aunt was sick with a major disease and the doctor gave her this recipe to help her stay healthy.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

did we have this for thanksgiving in 2000?

Emily said...

I don't think so... will have to ask Kelly. I think she got it more recently than that.

I made it last week, though..It was so good. I want to create some kind of hall of fame and put this recipe in it.

Kelly Virella said...

So glad you posted this! I lost the recipe and now I can make it again.

Presidential Mission Statement

As President, I would provide the citizens of the USA with an approach and a model for everyday eating that will allow our country's national cuisine to evolve beyond junk food, take-out and pre-packaged food without going too far and becoming heartlessly, standoffishly gourmet.

Since I'm not currently president, I've compiled my favorite recipes on this site so I can access them remotely and keep track of them over the years.