Dec 13, 2008

Potato Leek Soup

This is a great soup to make a ton of and have on hand all week. It requires only three ingredients (one of which is butter) so it's a good one to try if you're at the store and don't want to run all over getting ingredients. I like to make as much as I can, using roughly equal parts leeks and potatoes.

Russet Potatoes, peeled and chopped
Leeks, trimmed, washed well, and sliced

Put chopped leeks and potatoes into large pot and cover with water. Bring to boil and simmer till potatoes are done (about 45 minutes). Mash with a fork until smooth. Add some big hunks of butter and salt to taste.

2 comments:

Genevieve said...

Emily, just came across your blog via your web site via the strange maps blog. I love your map and will be purchasing an Oregon shirt. Regarding Potato Leek Soup, I am a big fan. Recently I came across a recipe for a schmancied up version using pumpkin instead of potato that I thought you might like:

Bake a pumpkin then dice it; mine was about 6-7 inches in diameter and it took about an hour at 375
(peel it and gut it, of course -- I gutted, baked, peeled then diced)

Chop up a bunch of leeks and some onion (I used 1 large white onion, 3 leeks)

Put leeks + onion + a bit of olive oil in bottom of soup pan, cook for 5 min or so

Add 1 quart veggie stock (or whatever stock) and diced pumpkin

Bring to boil, then simmer for 15 min or so

When it's getting good and mushy, finish the job with a potato masher, but leave it a little lumpy for texture

Add salt + pepper to taste and the magic ingredient: a can of coconut milk

Mix it all up and serve with crusty bread

Emily said...

Thanks, Genevieve, I will try it.
It sounds delicious and still really simple to make!!!!!!!!

Presidential Mission Statement

As President, I would provide the citizens of the USA with an approach and a model for everyday eating that will allow our country's national cuisine to evolve beyond junk food, take-out and pre-packaged food without going too far and becoming heartlessly, standoffishly gourmet.

Since I'm not currently president, I've compiled my favorite recipes on this site so I can access them remotely and keep track of them over the years.